Travelling to an EU country & Northern Ireland
If you are taking your pet on holiday or planning a relocation to an EU country or Northern Ireland, you should begin the process of obtaining the necessary pet travel paperwork at least 21 days before you are due to leave.
What is the Pet Travel Scheme?
The Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) enables animals to travel easily between EU member countries without needing to be quarantined. Pets must however, meet certain entry requirements such as being microchipped and vaccinated against rabies. The effect is to make the travel and transport of animals between member countries much simpler and quicker than previous procedures.
The current requirements under the Pet Travel Scheme, are:
- a microchip
- a valid rabies vaccination (not before your cat/dog is 12 weeks old)
- Wait 21 days: you must allow 21 days after the rabies vaccination before your pet is eligible for travel to Europe
- An animal health certificate (or a pet passport issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland)
- Fitness to Fly certificate: if your pet is travelling by plane, a Fitness to Fly certificate must also be provided by a Vet, normally within five days of travel
- Tapeworm treatment for dogs if you’re travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta
These requirements also apply to assistance dogs, and you may need to produce your pet’s documents on arrival.
You can find rules for repeat trips and travelling with more than five pets on the Government’s travel advice site: www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad/travelling-to-an-eu-country-or-northern-ireland
Post-BREXIT, you can no longer use a pet passport issued in Great Britain (England, Wales & Scotland) for travel to an EU country or Northern Ireland. You can, however, still use a pet passport issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland.
Why choose Travel Vet for your pet’s next trip
As well as being Pet Travel Specialists who prioritise your pet’s health and wellbeing, with Travel Vet, you will also benefit from our:
- Caring & compassionate team of Vets holding Official Veterinarians (OV) status
- Convenient location next to London Heathrow Airport and on M25 route to Dover
- Many years’ experience and up-to-date knowledge of the pet travel industry
- Close links with pet shipping specialists who provide door-to-door transport & shipping services
- Experienced in following complicated protocols for testing and treatments required by some countries/destinations.
- Promise to always do our best to ensure you can see the same vet you first spoke to, who will be familiar with your requirements and can provide a seamless ‘next step’ in your travel plans